Monday, October 26, 2009

Fulltime employment-III


Fulltime Employment- part 3

Working with Poysha was a great experience. No where in the world, any educational institute has the facility to put students for Industrial experience. The only place for such exposure is a full fledged Factory or any such outfit.

In my case too, I was thrown into the field of Maintenance engineering which excited me as I always wanted to correct things.( When I was in school, I serviced my grandpas’ table fan to make it perform silently etc;) The interesting aspect is, one keeps encountering new problems each day and seeking solutions like an expert. Such an exposure increases the confidence of the individual, besides making him not to give up easily and running away from problems.

Again, my bosses gave me full support and guidelines when I was challenged with problems in dealing and fixing an engineering problem. Maintenance related engineering problems are unique and need to be addressed carefully.

The technicians I had in my team were also of great talents, in this field. Most of them were far above my age, and I worked with them as one of them. They could not read an electrical drawing, but were experts in practical solutions. For instance, one of my electricians could assemble and properly wire a Star-Delta starter, but could not draw its circuit. Most of them learned their job on site, and became a sort of experts in Electrical Maintenance Engineering.

There were THREE electricians all with surname SHARMA – they were
1. Ghanshyam Datt Sharma – An expert in motor winding- from U.P
2. Kirorimal Sharma – An all rounder from Rajasthan
3. Chautmal Sharma – Electrical / Electronics technician also,from Rajasthan

I have great appreciation and respect for their talent and always stood by their side when necessary.

Like in every place, here too I had a very poor performer – an electrician by name V.P.Gulati. He was very good at singing and always there in any related function in town. He was a late comer to work, besides his performance was very bad even compared to the new entrant – Rajendar Diwakar despite being the most experienced technician- with over 20 years- as of 1970 !!
In the factory, there were rules, for reporting delay on normal failures and breakdowns.
During day time,
The duty technician will try to rectify the problem within the first 15 minutes.
Then the respective supervisor will be notified and the problem is expected to be solved, within a total of 30 minutes. If, again the delay prolongs, the HOD must be notified simultaneously along with Works Manager for VERY URGENT ACTION.
Then upon rectification of the fault and restoration of production, a report will be made in writing by the HOD-Electrical Maintenance addressed to the Works Manager. Most cases, the report is retained and discussed with Branch Manager during his visits (Twice weekly).

If the delay exceeds 2 hours and causing loss of revenue, the same will be notified to H.O in Bombay. Then all will be on the line explaining the delay and provide a definite schedule for avoiding repletion of such faults.
During Night time,
A vehicle was made standby for calling in HODs or senior supervisors for attending problems related to production lines and maintenance.
The rule was same here as well, except that the supervisor had to be called in by sending the vehicle (to the nearest person available).

When it came for Electrical maintenance problems, I was always called in as I was living very close to the factory- walk able distance of about 1000 yards.
There were only 3 or 4 such delays, during my entire career with Poysha, spanning a period 1970 – 1981.

Minor delays will be compensated by making up for the loss of production by working during lunch hours and reducing other activities. I can tell you, that Poysha during my years, had the best of staff that were dedicated and dutiful. We enjoyed our work and working relation among us.

I trained my new staff, Rajendar Diwakar (R.D) to handle night shift on his own. For this purpose, I nearly placed my head on the block but, my training to him well deserved and the fellow was very loyal and careful in his job. My boss –Mr.R.C.Shah- always cautioned me that I will loose my job if R.D fails in his duty and an inordinate delay causing loss of production took place.

I went to the factory in nights, by walk and made surprise inspections to confirm, everything was in line and no one is fooling me. I was allowed to carry out such duties by my boss and works manager. I attended my routines irrespective of my odd hour duties.

This practice made me to become a very trusted employee in the eyes of Management and security staff. Besides my regular work – of Electrical maintenance, I learned mechanical maintenance jobs and electromechanical jobs by working with technicians of these areas.
At one point, I worked with a diesel mechanic – Mr. Siddanthi who was specially hired to look after the three Diesel operated Generators.

Siddanthi was a very talkative person and it did not hinder his work – I mean he kept working while talking. He was much senior to me by age and was liked by all. He was an expert in his work and at times challenged the mechanics that came from Cummins factory in Pune. He always, found solutions for problems and solved them by himself, as calling an expert from the manufacturer could cost much more.

I learned something very startling to me till date. The best workmen always are very talkative by nature, and best managers are seldom talkative. If these two classes mingle, the result is a talkative manager but not a silent worker. So, it is best to see them as they are conventionally.

I also learned that no one is an idiot, but had limitations in some areas while are very bright in something else.
So, I had to be very careful working in between workmen and my managers. This opportunity gave me ample experience to deal with both parties without upsetting either of them.

This KEEPING A BALANCED RELATIONSHIP, with both parties, helped me to attend work while workmen and some junior managers went on strike. I had the support of both parties, who allowed me to attend work, as it did not come in their agitation.

I worked with all the rank and file staff, by helping them in their jobs and learning other jobs – such as servicing an industrial vacuum pump, a special gear box (Positively Variable Infinite gear boxes) and other mechanical devices. These gear boxes are sealed units meant for 10 years operation without maintenance – except changing oil when due as per the manufacturers instructions. When run dry, the seal used to give out smoke and it was a tricky affair to change the oil seal. Any misadventure could render the gear box redundant for ever.
I wrote to various manufacturers of many types of equipment used in CAN MAKING INDUSTRY and received updated information on maintenance. In some cases, I received replaceable components free of charge.

It was very difficult to find certain components within India, and also a special license was required to import them. All this involved H.O officials as I was not authorized to do anything of this nature.

So, my normal clarification with most of the manufacturers got me spares and literature. I solved many problems and only my boss was aware of my activities, as it helped smooth and less expensive maintenance.

I had enough useful leaflets and drawings related to all types of equipments related to CAN MAKING MACHINES / PANELS, and I gave the whole to my boss at the time of my leaving. My boss at the time of my leaving the factory was one Mr.K.Vivekanath Pai. (Addressed always as K.V.Pai) He was very surprised to see the content filed in date order and according to the equipment. He knew that I had some sort of literature but never realized the volume of it.

I learned that Mr.K.V.pay passed away in 2007. I shall tell you more about my workplace experience in my next chapter.

As I write about my experience, I shall also add some facts about my personal life as well in those years - Ghaziabad.

No comments: