Monday, October 26, 2009

First Interview

First Interview- 1969

The result for Final Year Electrical Engineering course had come. My hard and honest efforts have finally paid off by way of a first class Diploma in Electrical Engineering. As always I questioned myself, ‘’what is next’’.

Every year, there was clear answer, ‘’study in the next class’’. But this time, the next class was, to vigorously hunt for a job to engage myself at the earliest, so that I can start supplementing my father’s income in meeting the ever increasing family expenses.

In the first week of July 1969, there was an advertisement, by Madras Refineries Limited, calling applications for apprenticeship. The factory was located in Manali- near Madras - was under construction and about to be started.

I applied for the position of trainee engineer- Diploma Holder grade and received a call by post on Thursday- 31-7-69 to attend a written test / interview on Saturday- 2-8-69 at 2PM. I was expected to travel to Madras on my own expense to attend this interview.

Despite the financial hardship, I wanted to attend this interview hoping to get a job within the state. My parents did not know what to say as I did not know anyone in Madras besides my classmate K.V.Rao and some relatives spread between Perambur and Pudupet.

My fathers’ uncle ( Mr.KN.Ananthakrishnan- Rtd Chief Accountant from Railways) lived in Perambur, and I had visited them some time in 1962. (22-6-1962). I also met my cousin sister Saroja and her husband Mahadevan during this visit. But it was 7 years since I visited Madras except during my educational tour which did not cover visiting relatives- In January 1969.

Nevertheless, I decided to attend the interview taking help of my friend K.V.Rao, who still had another year of study at Adayar Polytechnic.

Though my visit to Madras was a very short one, I still needed an extra pair of pants, two shirts, towel for drying after bath, soap, and shaving set. I also have to take all my provisional certificates. The only device available to contain all these was an old steel box – a kind of an X-ray proof one.
It ordinarily weighed more than I could lift, but was safe, as no one will bother to steal my steel box. It had a sort of military color painted – I think it was hammer tone paint - made from the best pigments. I could keep cash in my possession, spreading it evenly into all pockets, so that even if some one tries to take it, only a small amount will be lost.
My best pair of pant was two years young and was still having its crease visible in the front. There was no stain or any mark of entanglement. It was brown in color and I liked it, as it matched with my cream color shirt. For the purpose of wandering in Madras, I had a kind of rough one, which took a good 30 minutes to absorb water when dipped. It was an all proof one and withstood rough use.


I left for Coimbatore - as my family was in Pollachi – at 7PM and reached Coimbatore Railway station at 8.45 PM. Quickly I learned that a train named West coast, was about to arrive and goes to Madras. Immediately, I purchased a ticket for the journey. I reached Jolarpet at 4AM. For some reason, we all were asked to travel by Kerala express which came to Jolarpet junction at 7A.M and reached Madras at 11.30 A.M. on Friday.
I never realized anything about the difficulty in traveling in an un-reserved compartment, that too, to Madras in a night train which is normally considered a nightmare.

The very thought of attending my first ever interview made me sleepless and put the body systems on red-alert.

There was no time to write a letter to Rao, nor there was a phone to call him and warn him of my arrival in the city.

I went straight to my friend Rao’s hostel room in Adyar- Madras -20.Rao has always been my best friend and a helping hand whenever I was in Madras or visited him in his work places- in the later years.

I took a bath, food and spoke to him continuously, though he wanted me to take some rest and get ready fresh for the next day’s interview.
I had some books and my professional Instrument Box from my study and gave them to him as he had one more year to complete his Sandwich mechanical Engineering Diploma.

We both struggled to complete our studies with ever overshadowed financial crisis always looming in our family. Ironically, I was the eldest son and he was the youngest, what a contradiction and same problems. He had elderly people who did not support him, while I was the eldest expected by youngsters to be supported. The situation was same when it came to meet expenses.

What we spoke covered our prevailing conditions- family burdens, and harder life styles and above all a sacrificing attitude in all aspects of family routines. We were consoling each other of the conditions which we were facing, and hoping to get better with the employment. If I remember correctly, Rao had merit – loan scholarship for his studies.

Rao was in-charge of the hostel stores – meant for selling essential items to students at cost. (no profit basis.) I always took from him a bottle of Lacto calamine (for my sister) and Mysore sandal soap for my mother. The cost was exorbitant (Total cost was around Rs.8).
Rao never charged for these items and foot the bill by himself.

I knew the rules in the hostel that; no outsider should stay even with permission. So, I decided to go to my cousin’s sisters’ house in Pudupet. On the way, Rao visited Bata show room and procured a pair of hawai slippers for Rs.8.00.
Rao left me in my cousin’s house and went back to his hostel. My cousin sister Mrs.Saroja Mahadevan, gave me coffee and eatables.

I met Mr.Mahadevan, who came very late as he was running his own business in the neighborhood. He asked me if the name Mahesh was right for a baby boy, and I agreed positively. Later I realized that this is his son’s name.

After usual gossip covering the past 7 years, and all relatives starting from my paternal grandfather to my youngest sister and the day-to-day situations etc; I went to bed.

Next day, I got up as usual and completed all my routines, by 10 AM.
Mahadevan engaged a taxi and dropped me at Parry’s corner. He paid the Taxi fare of Rs.1.40. took his advice again and took a bus route no 56 to Thiruvanmyoor, and another one- route 56C to Manali.

Manali was a small town far away from the city and buses came very rarely as the place was yet to be popular.

I reached the Administrative section of MRL at 11.45 AM. Though my time for interview was scheduled at 2PM, I was allowed for the written test at 12.00 noon. The name of the interviewer was one Mr.A.L Rao. I wanted to make sure if I have done the interview well. Mr.Rao’s answer was affirmative, but he was reluctant to reveal something more.
I requested him to be honest and let me know if I will be inducted. He then told me that they were compelled to conduct interview for certain number of candidates – a formality- and they have already selected 95% of the trainees under guidelines from the government. I told him that they should not have wasted my time, or at-least paid for my railway tickets. He did not reply for my query.

Though very disappointed on one count, I was happy that I need not wait for their regret reply. I came out and waited nearly an hour to get a transport back to the city area. I was very hungry, but there was no any place for even getting a glass of water. I found a lorry was going towards the city, and the driver agreed to drop me at the nearest bus stop. But the nearest stop from where I was dropped was yet another mile from there. So, I walked the distance of a mile.

The surrounding looked like a place covered with soil and no greenery at all. The wind carried sand / soil dust free of cost and coated on to my face and part of which penetrated into my clothes as well. While walking, I kept on enquiring with passers for the bus to the nearest place where I can have food and water. I was advised to take route 56A to Mint and then Route 8 to Perambur. Fortunately, I got 56 A, and, reached Mint. There was the route bus 8 standing and so, I skipped my lunch, gaining time to reach my step grandfather’s house in Perambur at the earliest.

I reached their house at 3PM. My visit was a surprise one, and they all were very happy to see me after a lapse of 7 years. My uncle Shankar was there (He was suffering from Kidney problem which was detected only at a later stage and he died in Aug.1972) and we recollected our times spent in 1962 – during his sister (my aunty’ marriage).

After evening Tiffin, we went to Ambathur to see his cousins who also were in our company in 1962. I met all of them and came back to Perambur. This was the last time I met Shankar as I never realized that he would leave us in 1972.

I had dinner with all and retired to bed. My step grandmother was a very nice lady and always treated me like her own son. We also spoke of many familiar matters of the time and were very happy to be together.

Next day- Sunday- 3rd August 1969, I left them at 6.45 AM, wet to Pudupet, picked up my steel case and left at 8.30 AM to meet Rao in his Hostel. The travel and the previous day’s sand storm coated my body with fine particles of soil which could not be washed away 100% in the morning bath. So, took another one in the hostel and felt as if my weight had reduced further.

In the evening, we both went to IIT campus to see my cousin- Balakrishnan – staying at the GODAVARI hostel. We came back to Adyar hostel, and Rao saw me off at Madras Central – as I took Blue Mountain back to Coimbatore en-route to Pollachi.

I was home by 10 AM on 4-8-1969 – Monday, and all my brothers and sisters were very happy to see me back, as if I had a return flight to Bombay or Delhi. My parents clarified if I will be selected in the immediate future. Since I already knew the answer, I did not want to upset them as well, but told them that my place of employment will be far away from home.

I made up my mind to leave South India, definitely as of 31st August 1969. I knew it was waste of time to stay home expecting a job offer within a short time. So, my life was to be continued in North very shortly.

No comments: