Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Of Songs and related Memories of the past---

I think once Shakespeare, said, what is in a name, a rose is but a rose nothing but a rose, always a rose no matter what you call it,
For me what is in a song, what can it do to you?

It is said that, (don’t ask me who said that- as it could be myself)
Any sound when made with rhythm and in a sequence, then it is called music. If sung with proper wording or humming then it is admired further and, when supported by instruments of modern times, it puts the listener to some kind of emotional order.

Well, then given the opportunity, most of the sinners will abstain from committing any un-holy act at-least for that duration of time when he / she is spell bound and concentrating in listening to such music.

I’m neither a sinner nor intended to commit few (more), but love to be absorbed into my own world of old memories- all related songs of the past.

One can co-relate anything with anything- an instance, an experience, an acquaintance, or some kind of attachment of two things.

I do not wish to drag any one for narrating such inter actions but of my own.

I hit the alarm at 4.30 before it hits me, for, I normally is awake by 4 AM, no matter what time I retire to bed in the previous night. Every day, when I get up so, I just think of my father who was behind this harsh practice. Yes, it was harsh to get up by 4 AM every morning at the shout of my father followed by my mother.

The orderly, Ramaswamy, was already up and waiting to take me to the well side, to pour at-least two buckets of water over me to really wake me up!! Washing the teeth and mouth was done before being washed in full length. Then, this ritual is extended to all my brothers and sisters as well.

Then other thoughts that follow are about how I was given a tumbler of coffee, strict instructions to complete chanting of few lines of prayer songs from holy scripts, home work etc;
Then there was RADIO CEYLON, broadcasting every available song from 7AM (or so) filling the streets with adorable noise.

The numbers of songs I know are purely due to the compulsory pumping of the same into my years, during child hood, as I walked to school. While listening to a song, I also was talking to a classmate- whenever this song was audible; I get back to see my friend in my thoughts.

Another song reminds me of few of my classmates who also sang it as it was seen in a particular cinema. Few songs were sung in the class room, being philosophical, or it conveyed some moral – (NOT obscene message as it is in these days) information.

For e.g, a song narrated a series of advices to a young bride by her brother as how to take care of husband, uphold the values of parents, in-laws and above all herself. Whenever I listen to this song, I saw my Tamil Pundit Shri. Athmanathan Pillai and most of my classmates, alive in front of me.

There is another one from a cinema. I skipped my class and went for this cinema. The tragedy is on that day, they started the film reversing one of the film reels. In other words, had to re- run the same in the proper order, taking more than necessary time for completing the show. This caused my arrival with a delay of more than an hour. The film is NEELAVANAM.

There is another song, which when listening to it, reminds of my Tamil Exam in class 10.I challenged few of my classmates that seeing a film prior to the day of an exam will not affect the performance in the exam. I scored above 60% in that exam. When ever I hear the song from that film, I laugh to myself and recall my good friends and their friendly challenge.

So, a song, even when you are NOT even the singer but a good listener and an admirer, can trigger your past related to something as you heard it for the first time in your life.

I sang some songs just to make people to laugh – like RAHASIYAM, Parama rahasiyam, or Nan Enna sollivitten NEE aen alarukirai,etc;

Then there were weddings, where people became real singers- teasing the groom / bride depending on whose side where they, became heros by singing a particular song on demand, etc;

There were several weddings including my own, where very many songs were heard. I remember each one of the guests who sang the song – as and when I hear them and I am over Joyce as always.

There are sad songs, which, reminds me of those passed away, and some related to hospitalization of few of them.

Few remind me of my school time picnics, and the company of the students involved.

Then comes another one from a near horror film after seeing which I walked thru pitch dark roads, chased by dogs and seeing elephants on the side walk. Name of the film is GUMNAM and the place was high way of Trichur. Year was 1965 or so.

I was asked to stand up on the bench for singing a song quietly, but fellow students laughed at it exposing me to the class teacher. At that time I was very much upset with my friends, and to-day I again laugh at this incident. The song was from film KAIRASI – Kathal ennum atrinile kanniyaram odathile---

I could listen to songs from films in Tamil, Malayalam and later from Hindi movies as well.

Songs from Katipatang reminds me of my dinner in a restaurant in Ghaziabad – Sangam Restaurant near clock tower – Ghanta Ghar.

I was in Tamil Nadu express when the songs from film JOHNEY MERANAM - film with Hema malini and Dev Anand.were shown in the compartment T.V.

I wrote exam at one time- hopelessly, when marks came I was reluctant to show the paper to my parents for getting their signature. For a while, I was very much worried, then sang a song to myself –Ennathan Nadakum nadakkattume, a songt from MGR film, Don’t ask me if my father ever signed that paper?

Then there are devotional ones. I listened to them, when attending temple functions. Most reminds me of Lord Ganesha, Muruga, and many Goddesses of Specific powers.

There are situations when I listened to few in exhibitions, hotel clubs, and road shows in native village.

The very emotional ones are still those which I listened and tried to silence my younger ones to put them on sleep as they were infants.

So, if nothing can keep me quiet, the very song from one of the many I keep listening has the power to give me invisible company at all times, - a good and healthy companionship of course.

I can write a kind of auto-biography only based on my interest towards listening songs of various times which will bring all my friends closer, bring all my past alive and there by keep me alive as well.


Sounds like going through my life again


V.Sivasubramaniam

15-08-2010

No comments: